Friday, January 14, 2011

#THEBIZMICGOTTHINGSTOSAY PART 1(B): BEST DECISION EVER!


Its all part of the Plan!
As it turns out, coming back home was the best decision I have ever made in my whole life. I am now over the crisis that was my premature “akwaaba”, taken from another perspective it was pure destiny. I am still not over the trauma of the local educational system I had to wade back into and the ensuing long and painful readjustment phase; lets just call it a process of reverse culture shock. I have still not fully come to terms with the Kwame Nkrumah University of Sorrows and Tears (KNUST) and until I do, I shall not write much about it; save the necessity of inking that degree onto my CV. I mean I remember how the Frankly Unaccomplished Cabal Keeping Ebullience Radically Short nearly succeeded in preventing a conclusion to my quest for purpose; but like I said, now is not the time. I digress; the topic at hand is that coming back home was the best decision I ever did make. In retrospect I would not have said this and meant it the way I do now a few years ago, but still I can even claim some level of prescience. I remember sitting down with one of the dearest women I have ever met, a counselor at the International Students Office in ‘Cuse who took me under her wing and advised me against coming back to Ghana; she felt it would be a mistake. I told her, “Back home, there are far more opportunities and far less distractions for me; there is a lot less pressure and I really understand the system, I will be able to mature and fully realize my potential.” I was right!
I knew deep down that in the US, I would at best be comfortably mediocre, but that in Ghana I could be truly great; I tired of having to choose between being the token African dude, or part of the close knit African clique – after all I am by nature an outgoing loner. I realize now though that I came to Ghana at precisely the time that the country was on the verge of leaving behind its past of obscurity in favor of a more robust exploitation of its huge potential. It could not have been a better-timed return; within a year of my arrival Ghana discovered oil and I found my calling in life; to be to Ghana what Rockefeller was to America. Ladies and gentlemen, that is the plan! Since our discovery of crude oil in commercial quantities I have been learning and soaking up so much information and experience that in my own biased opinion, I have become quite an astute local expert on the nascent petroleum industry – at only 24. At the same time I was slogging it out with the academics, I was also running around busily building the right connections, networking in the business circles and getting practical on the job expertise the hard way; the entrepreneurial way. I am glad to say that bit-by-bit, we are bringing the plan closer and closer to its fruition, we still have quite a lot to learn before we get there, but it is nice knowing that you are way ahead of the game. Nowadays, I regularly meet a lot of people who are only now trying to do what was done years ago, or learning what has long been known; they are new to the system and frankly they are behind and will be playing catch up for a while.
It has not been easy at all, in fact at times I almost gave up and run away back to the States – I raised the money myself and seriously contemplated that possibility a few times. However I remained in Ghana for so many reasons; first of all I cured myself of some dangerous habits; certainly not all of them but a marked improvement from before. Also I fell deeply in love and suddenly had a reason to be truly happy for once, though that proved to be another failed attempt at searching for an extrinsic source of joy; karma is only pleasant to the guiltless. Thirdly, I made some great friendships with individuals who had been through similar traumatic experiences and they helped me to settle down and re-appreciate the sun, the heat, the food and the sights and sounds of the land of my birth. Another reason was the onset of the Global Economic Crisis, which had very little effect on Ghana but left the prospect of working and financing the rest of my US college education by myself and in such a climate very unpalatable. But the most compelling reason is that I had a very supportive family; the parental unit was constantly admonishing me not to blame external sources for my troubles, but to reflect on the internal causes for my mistakes and seek to correct them. Thank you so much Mum and Dad for not coddling me into a dullard but forging me into the man I am today, a man who can truly survive in any circumstance.
As I gradually went native again, I suddenly began to realize the vast business opportunities available in a region of Africa that has been enjoying some unbridled growth over the past decade. So great was this epiphany that I knew my destiny was to become one of the rising stars of Africa, but only if I put in the necessary quantum of work and sacrifice. Sometimes I miss the good old days when I was carefree and spoilt; but I am far better at being mature, thoughtful and meticulously calculating. I think, I plan and I execute with the calm and precision born of constant practice dealing with both structured and unstructured situations. I am equally comfortable in a Tro-Tro station educating passengers on the recent petroleum product price increments or negotiating a multi-million dollar investment with a foreign investor at the Holiday Inn. I have not finished paying my dues in the school of hard knocks but I can smell the faint fragrance of graduation into the Big Easy, so I have been spurred on even more. I recently read “Talent Is Overrated” by Geoff Colvin and became even more convinced that all this stress I am facing; all this pain I am enduring; all this sweat, blood and tears are not being shed in vain. I am not going to be Rockefeller without it. Please note, he begun working in 1855 at age 16 in very modest circumstances, and it was not until 1865 that he made the decisions that launched him on his career to become America’s first Billionaire. I begun my career at 20, I am four years into the hustle and I have not made much yet but I bet you that by age 30, I would have been already set on a similar upward trajectory – this is not a boast but a simple statement of fact. You see I do not only aspire to be like these people, I know in my very marrow I am capable of doing what they did or even better – these are the personalities that I would deign to compete with and nobody else.
And this is not simply about money or accumulation of wealth for its own sake, this is about showing people that it is possible to achieve anything that you want in this world if you are willing to work hard enough at it. It is about leaving a legacy of hope and opportunity to the masses of African youth who have little chance to better themselves and their circumstances. If they can be shown that they can make their dreams a reality through consistent hard-work and not via any shortcuts, they shall have hope and will be galvanized into action, into developing their nations and bettering their own circumstances. That is the legacy I want to leave this world with and I get personal satisfaction from knowing that I am trying as hard as I can to make this happen; and it can only happen right here on the Dark Continent. I only pray that God grants me life that I may enjoy the blessings that are still accruing and may He be graceful enough to amortize my sins.
Cheers,
TheBizmic
L.J.J @ 2:59am 14/01/11

6 comments:

  1. 'You can make so much with so little down here',this is what a cuson from new york use to tell me...
    I think u have the acumen.big-ups man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. preciate that man.....I think you can do the same yourself.....the point here is to motivate people to look beyond their immediate circumstances and look ahead into the future. Work and Sacrifice will ALWAYS pay off in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know one thing I like the most about your blogs? In addition to your style of writing and your expertise at playing with thte english language, I love the autheticity of it. There's something about writting/blogging/trail-of-thought'ing that just doesn't leave space for dishonesty and fakeness, and that's very true to your blogs. It's amazing to fall in your mind and witness what you went through, and vicariously experience your journey from boyhood to manhood. What I really lke about this blog, and the previous ones, is your introspection. I think it's sad that many people go through life, never stopping to question themselves, their assumptions and prejudices. Most people grow Old but don't grow Up (as Maya Angelou once said). And the process of introspection, self-criticism, and learning from the past in order to think, plan, and execute, is definitely a significant step towards attaining/becoming the better person one can be.

    I'd like to quote one of my fave quotes by Walter Lippman, which says: “We forge gradually our greatest instrument for understanding the world — introspection. We discover that humanity may resemble us very considerably — that the best way of knowing the inwardness of our neighbors is to know ourselves.”

    You are on the right track Kojo!

    Peace and Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olivia, you are my fellow blogger from another mother.....I keep up with yours and I admire you more so than I do myself; why because you are successfully engaging an audience that believe in what you are doing. Here in Ghana its all mostly for show; but we are getting there bit by bit.

    Thanks so much for the big ups.....now we are on the Harambe Ghana Session and praying that things work out well well.....blessns dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LONG LIVE BMIC for the focus and vision it sets to PRIVIDE especially the youth EMPOWERMENT.

    Kojo, i still have your back as a brother, a friend, a business partner and with you on this journey all out, regardless. God Bless...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! Amazing!! Amazing!!!... am full of smiles and looking back into the life of the blogger (Kojo)that i ve come to know.
    indeed the truth in the write up makes it authentic and involving.. am inspired by the write up just because you've seen the positive side of the path to your call....its bumpy and full of twist and turns but am highly convinced that u will get there ( we will get there.
    i feel like blogging now cos i know the story but can tell it better than he that pulls the log; i can only observe and write as an observer..we will surely meet along the path shortly.
    For the freshers welcome!
    i remain my humble self
    K-cube Energy partner.

    ReplyDelete