Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Faulty Charger, Pepper Soup Extraordinaire and Several Moments of Realization

Unfortunately I have been sick and bedridden for the past 2 days; I have a combined Cold and Malaria affliction and that is a very debilitating and disturbing melange of pain and discomfort indeed. But even though I am not fully recovered I have had a moment of realization (which has led to the earlier than hoped resumption of the blog).....If I set my mind to anything, I CAN DO IT. Case in point: My Macbook's charger finally gave up and my beloved Mac subsequently ran out of juice; I live on my Mac, I need it for work, for almost everything (including bathing, sleeping.....and yes even THAT!!) and then at the worst possible time, when I'm sick and overloaded with work I need my Mac to finish - Out goes the little green light - what an unfortunate and stressful situation to be caught in. How was I going to Work, Communicate, Write and Research; I was really distraught for a short while. That is UNTIL I decided to be proactive; I took the charger apart, identified the problem, did some delicate cutting, exposed wires, and Voila! It Worked.....only for a short while but it still worked and I will fix it fully later on - Consequently I do have a serious deadline to finish this before my Mac goes off :(. This experience gave me such a huge boost that I forgot and ignored my headache and incessant coughing to revel in the fact that TRULY I CAN DO ANYTHING.......I CAN REALLY DO IT, regardless of any real or imagined disadvantage, flaw or excuse. To be honest, since my sickness begun I have been looking for inspiration to write my next article but it was not forthcoming until that moment. So then here I am, INSPIRED not because of any external force but rather because of an INTERNALLY produced DECISION to write. Its all in your mind; and within its two halves are endless possibilities. Therefore adjust your mindset and rely mostly on Self-Motivation instead of external stimuli because it does not get easier as we progress, it just gets easier to give up!

Time and Opportunity really wait for no man; whether you are sick, disabled, young, old, black, male, female, limited educationally or suffer from any other 'perceived' disadvantage we claim prevent us from fully utilizing our time and opportunities well. As I have been lying in my bed coughing my lungs out and shivering, my parents have travelled, my siblings still go to work, my friends are still partying, my business partners are still working, and BMIC is still growing. Its sometimes seems to us that we can relax, sleep, chill instead of work, work and work because we feel like we deserve it.....Well you may think you deserve it, but as you relax somebody is working, as you sleep somebody is toiling and as you chill somebody is sweating! That feeling of unearned Entitlement to success or greatness or its opposing but even more disturbing brother, Hopelessness, are just about the two greatest enemies to our generation. Entitlement encourages complacency and laziness and Hopelessness encourages pessimism and despondency. Well then, great to know but how does one keep up with Time and utilize Opportunity so as not to be left behind then. Its another simple truth in theory but difficult to put into practice: Rise above prevailing circumstances, strive to always plan well ahead and be disciplined and determined especially when things don't go as planned.

To further illustrate this point comes the tale of the Pepper Soup which occurred simultaneously with the conjuring of this anecdote: I have been in dire need of Pepper Soup to help combat the parasites in my blood stream - the soup my sister made was wonderful but the quantity left was inadequate....but I needed my Pepper Soup really bad, how was I gonna survive. I realized that I couldn't just go and bother my sister to prepare the remedy for me because she was asleep, my parents were not at home and my little brothers are useless when it comes to anything other than breakfast and videogames. So you know what, I PREPARED IT MYSELF! This might seem ordinary and unremarkable but I have never in my life prepared soup before; so why would I begin to when I am terribly sick? Well I had to rise above that circumstance, and then I had to plan how exactly to do the soup......Its not really hard, it involves chopping, blending, and boiling, throwing in spices, salt and protein and waiting for it all to amalgamate into an edible consistency over a period of time.....the difficult part was managing to do all that whiles dealing with a throbbing headache, a disturbing cough, joint pain, fever and an overall feeling of tiredness and depression, as well as a serious case of doubt; I was trying to convince myself the whole time to just wait till my sister woke up to do it for me especially when I got to peeling onions.....pure Horror; my eyes still sting from that, that, that......TORMENT. I am truly glad I did my Pepper Soup because it turned out great, in fact it was far better than I had hoped and I am proud and consequently more motivated to rise above my circumstances no matter how hopeless. When effort and determination pave way for success, the individual is positively reinforced, encouraged and even more motivated. I will still have to face the familial taste test but regardless of their verdict I DID IT........and I am happy and better off because of that and I have enough pepper soup to last me for the duration of my illness.

Now as I sit here lavishing praise over my Pepper Soup Extraordinaire (trust me after the pain I went through to make it happen I am entitled to adjectivize my creation) I have had yet again another moment of realization; It is in times of great distress that often we witness great achievements. Wow.....all this over simple pepper soup......Of course not; the pepper soup was a rather tiny success, but it embellished another fact, on the battle field it is the combination of a great many individual and tiny triumphs that eventually lead to Overall Victory. And since I am on this motivated streak of small successes I still have to complete the challenge of fully fixing my beloved Mac's charger; after 2 years of faithful service it has succumbed to overuse and machine madness and that task is proving to be a great challenge indeed......I am using my usual tools; a knife, a pair of scissors, sellotape and a CAN-DO attitude.....The green light is dancing when contact is made so I know that 'permanent luminiscence' is not far off......Then I'll ramp up to my Dad's Grundig radio to tackle its erratic performance once and for all.....Then who knows whats next because it will surely be figured out......How can a headache or cough defeat me?

2 comments:

  1. nice....but is there any study which says pepper soup kills malaria parasites?.....hahahahahahahaha...skk. By the way skk means sre kwaa kwaa.....it replaces lol.....thanx Mr. Obama...we are takin our vocabulary into our own hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about pepper soup killing no malaria chitlings....I know soup simply helps with a cold and my cough is far better now that i'm all souped up......skk yeah.....thanks for the heads up and I will use it lots now blood.....its such a great in-joke!!!

    ReplyDelete